McJohn.org

A wonderful way to keep in touch.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Time to get it done - or not

I felt so sure last week that by yesterday I'd be en route to the Northwest. Luckily, I checked the calendar before I canceled the mail. So here I am, with time to go ahead and clean everything up properly before I abandon ship. A couple of the flowers in the dining room have drooped anyhow, they probably thought I had already gone, and left them dry. I'm facing up to the chores, a little bit, although I managed to spend a large part of this week more cheerily and idly. On the phone, yesterday, a lot.

Not sure just why I couldn't get onto the web much this last month. I blame the phone lines, squirrels probably eating away at them. Maybe I just need to go back to hitting restart on this computer more often.

Of course, as soon as I realized there was this much more time -- a week seemed so big then -- I hit the crochet hooks and knitting needles again. Now I'm trying to decide: is the person in charge of this ministry going to be happy or disturbed, if I try to foist off three more Prayer Shawls on her? One is finished, and ribboned and carded; one is drying and needs yet to be fringed; one is not finished, the knit one, but it will be. I did go ahead and print up some copies of the card we're attaching to the ribbons, and a handwritten card is probably more personal, but the printed italicized one is easy to read. And to produce. My writing's not that great.

I remember my mother making afghans for all her grandchildren, and I recognize that most of the women in my family have turned to needling for fun. I have that tablecloth that Sister Anna Clare made, and beautiful afghans that she knit. I have the really long afghan that Mom made, it wasn't actual crochet, it's a stitch she produced with a spool. It's so long, so that it'll cover Steve's legs when he's asleep on a couch. She measured. Finding him asleep on a couch wasn't really so tough.

She had that little wooden box of leftover needlework from her mother, which included some of the last things she'd worked on. More quilting, in that Molly's case. The quilt my Grandma Hanna was last working on, when her husband got sick and they left Ivesdale, was on a frame for finishing, an elaborate white-on-white one, but it didn't survive the later move to Illinois. Maybe I should think about trying to keep some of these prayer shawls in the family? Anybody want one?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home