McJohn.org

A wonderful way to keep in touch.

Saturday, November 26, 2005

What a Wonderful Thankskgiving

Joe came sailing out in one of their red cars and brought me to Lake Forest for Thanksgiving. As we got near, we saw a hawk fly across the highway. I want to bring a kite with me to the wildlife refuges next spring, because Joe says that hawks will fly over to investigate one. He also explained that the small delta-shaped commercial kites are fine for that, so I'm on the lookout now for one I can pack and bring with me to Seattle. Since I got my tickets, it seems as though December and January will fly by in no time at all. I do love being in Seattle.

There was a lot of piano being played, as Alex and Kathleen practiced for their lessons, and the house fills with music beautifully. We had a meatloaf (with baked potatoes) on Wednesday that was made with crackers and onion and tasted like heaven; and I wish I'd taken a picture of the Thanksgiving table that Alex and Kathleen set. Yes, we had turkey, a wonderful one, and a classic bean casserole, and cranberry sauce, and a really amazing dish of sauted parsnips and carrot that I need to learn to duplicate. Alex made ice cream, and we had pumpkin pie with ice cream. This ice cream is made with thick whipped cream, and the heavenly taste still rings in my mouth as I type.

We watched a DVD of the Workshop Opera that Bill played for, afterwards, until I got bored with it because the singers are doing a superb job but I wanted to see the orchestra more! and Joe has shown me how people can work together on Sudoku. He gave me a clipboard to put the puzzle on. And Alex did her first Sudoku.

Just the evening before I left, Dan and I sat together and watched Sarah play volleyball -- they went home tired and pleased to share Anna's birthday dinner. And just this morning, I've had a great three-page letter from Sarah Jane in Bristol, who's doing her last year of school, she'll be an RN this time next year. Altogether, a wonderful dip into being with McJohns; I'm so happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home