McJohn.org

A wonderful way to keep in touch.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Cities have Yarn Shops

Strolled over to a beautiful shop today. This is the first real yarn shop I've been in since the 1960s and I recognize all the same feelings that I had what? forty years ago?
The wools are so beautiful. And they're really all wools, or silks mixed with wools. The colors break your heart, the skeins all want to be touched. And boy, they're all expensive. And my deeply inbred stinginess comes forward saying, "yeah, and then you have to invest all the time and labour, and hope you have something worthwhile, and yet only briefly worthwhile, in the nature of anything cloth -- it's generally not in use, is it?"

I recognize the urges that had me resolve back forty years ago to have a pastel orange mohair and make it into a sweater; to have Norwegian wools to make those indestrucible green sweaters you all remember...

This trip, I bought a blunt-ended sewing needle and actually finally left. They do have a lot of half-price sales on the ends of runs... And it's quite near by.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home