McJohn.org

A wonderful way to keep in touch.

Saturday, August 06, 2011

chore list

The list has been in my mind for a couple of days, and I couldn't imagine the source. It seemed like, perhaps, a jump-rope jingle? There was no tune involved, no rhyme, just a schedule.

Well, today I claimed back a good deal of my time; and I took advantage of the fact by hunting down my list. Embarrassingly enough, it's even embodied in a nursery song, Here we go Round the Mulberry Bush.

Monday, washday
Tuesday, ironing
Wednesday, mending
Thursday -- with time, this has changed from Churning to Marketing. Definitely reflects modernization.
Friday, cleaning
Saturday, baking
Sunday the classic day of rest.

There have been a lot of metamorphoses, and I recall various verses from the Mulberry Song (seems like it was endless, and sung with gestures??). This is the way we wash the clothes, for one verse. But the way we make the bed, scrub the floor, wind the clock, say our prayers, go to bed ... there are ways that I seem to recall acting these all out whilst "singing" in groups. Very young groups, I expect.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home