McJohn.org

A wonderful way to keep in touch.

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Spring Gardening Chores Finished

All that digging did get finished, and the space is filled with things that I will dig up in the fall. Last fall was the first year in a long time that I dug up stuff and stored it, and for a wonder I did store it in the basement instead of the cold room. Next year I hope for the same success. Glads that had been dug, sunned for a week or so, and laid out (in a plastic-lined washtub, probably an antique) have already sprouted this year in profusion. Just this week, the dahlias are showing their noses. Cannas, I don't know yet. Maybe I don't succeed with them? But they're reckoned to be ruddy beasts that nothing can defeat, so I'm hopeful.

I used to use the coldroom, try to prepare the things I stored, forget to put them out ... This time around is working better.

Last year, I threw balls of crochet thread out the upstairs window to provide support from a west window for scarlet runner. I had company in the toss, because the idea scared me a little. This year I thought of the company fondly, and repeated the toss with no fear and more success I think. This year, from a south window. Climbing up into the sun there is something that runner beans have done before!

And the horned poppies have extended their stems, gotten tall and bloomed. A ruddy orangey gold, with a golden center, instead of the dark center that the pink poppies will have. Much smaller petals, just lovely. Only four open so far. Just lovely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home