McJohn.org

A wonderful way to keep in touch.

Saturday, December 18, 2004

Maybe that Orchid is Budding

When I lived in Seattle, I engaged in long conversations at flower shows with orchid growers, who ship 'em in from Hawaii generally. Essentially, the back porch in Illinois sounded like a good place to grow orchids but I can't remember details particularly.

When I shopped last Spring or maybe longer ago in Illinois at Vaughan's, there was a potplant marked $5 , "will bloom again", and I took it, recognizing the orchid leaves. Now this winter that plant has decided to extrude five or six relatively ugly phallic-shaped bright green and healthy-looking snubs from the base where the leaves rise. I look at them and wonder, is this the rising stem of an orchid?

If only I could remember whether it really needs a cool climate, extra-bright light, or just negligence? Do you have any experience with orchids?

(I realize how often people go through this site now; that blog that mentioned Early Americans and the Mammoth Trumpet has elicited a rather glossy request for support funds, but not an offer to renew my subscription!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home